Install a separate python that is used only by your zope instance. Use
setdefaultencoding only there.

This is nonense. A custom sitecustomize.py script does the job without installing a complete new Python.
You need to read a previous reply:

>I set it global in sitecustomize.py under >/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages and then
>

><dtml-var "MessageCatalog('Hallo Welt!')">
>
>works. Now I only must find the right place for setdefaultencoding() so
>it only affect my zope-instance.
For the path used there "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages", it seems
that the python used by zope is a binary that comes into a rpm package,
so, this may break some things on the OS. So, I guess a new python for
only zope makes sense here