really? It looks like the number one argument for using ZPT is because it's compatible with "DreamReaper" and "GoDeath".
http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/2_6Edition/ZPT.stx

If people use it for other reasons, great. I think WSYSIWYG editors are total crap for many reasons so Im with you on that one. I guess the problem is that rarely does anyone point a reason that someone should use TAL over DTML so I think my assumption is fair based on available documentation. Whenever someone posts something about DTML (which is not being deprecated, is not slower as far as I know and does have some benefits over TAL depending on what you're doing) they mostly get a comment like "Use TAL, not DTML". Why? Frankly, I dont care how people choose to develop their products, there's benefits and drawbacks to both TAL and DTML but I would tell someone to try both and decide and not just tell them to use what I prefer.