From: Paul Winkler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 6:30:12 PM
Subject: Re: [Zope] How to upgrade Python in older Zope?

On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 07:36:18AM -0700, Tit-Liviu Leontin wrote:
> Folks,
> I desperately need support for large filesystem so the data.fs file can
> exceed 2 GB.
> I can only make minimal changes to the existing set-up, which consists of
> Zope 2.5.1 (binary release, with Python 2.1.3) on Windows Server 2003 and
> >From what I've read, the issue is with the old Python not having LFS
> >enabled, so I thought I'd just upgrade it to 2.2.3 which has LFS enabled.
> The question is, how do I do that? Windows installer for Python doesn't know
> what to upgrade in the Zope install, so I'm thinking to copy the right files
> from the extracted Python 2.2.3 in Zope folders.

That sounds like a really bad idea. From the Zope 2.5.1 release notes:

  * Zope requires Python 2.1 (Python 2.2 is currently *not* supported)

You should NOT assume that warning was put there for no reason :-)

Also, there's not a whole lot of expertise in this community on
building for Windows; we seem to be a linux/unix-heavy crowd. You'd better
stick to the binary releases and not mess with them, unless you can
find a bona-fide expert to help you.  Anyone? :-)

Meanwhile you might try migrating a *copy* of your Data.fs to Zope
first to Zope 2.6.4 (still uses Python 2.1.x) and then to Zope 2.7.7
(uses Python 2.3.x).

FWIW I recall 2.5 to 2.6 being a painless upgrade.  I think 2.7 was a
little more involved. The most likely problem to watch out for is
security-related issues: your code might accidentally rely on a
security weakness that was subsequently tightened, so you get
permission denied at unexpected times until your code and/or
configuration is fixed.  Install and turn on VerboseSecurity, it's a
big help with things like that.

Paul Winkler