OK, here's a next rev that's close.

So I started out saying I have a url-arg value. Let's call that 'key'.

And note that foo_col is a boolean field.

So now zSql IfShowNextDoor contains
 SELECT foo_col FROM table where id=<dtml-sqlvar key type=int>

And then my DTML uses
 <dtml-call "REQUEST.set('z',IfShowNextDoor()[0][0])">

(I avoid dtml-let because when you need to do it multiple times, the
nesting of the lets gets ugly.)

This works (setting value as 0 or 1).

(thanks to all for earlier replies: I tried posting this update
earlier but it didn't go through somehow)