I've been looking around for this, but can't seem to find anything.  I'm
assuming that it is just not possible, but thought I'd ask just in case.

For File objects, I see that manage_edit() has the parameters: title,
content_type, precondition, filedata & REQUEST.  Setting something in the
filedata parameter will replace the file's current data with that.

This implies (to me at least) that the only way one can edit a file is a
complete rewrite. Does there exist a way to simply append data to the end of the file? For instance, if one wanted to write to a file line by line,
is that possible in Zope?

out-of-the-box: NO

Appending data would require the manipulation of the linked list of Pdata
elements. There is no API for this available...so basically forget it.
What about the python pickle/cpickle and marshal modules? If I'm not
wrong zope uses cpickle to append data to the Data.fs, or am I wrong?

I haven't read the module documetation deeply, but as I understand,
pickle/cpickle is used for serializing python objects, while marshal is
for binary data.

Anyway, you still need to load the whole file into a temporal memory.

Best regards