Better yet, here's a more informative debug output. It tells me that zope thinks this is a new instance. Though the old database is it place right where it should expect to see it.

   [EMAIL PROTECTED] zope]# bin/zopectl debug*
   Starting debugger (the name "app" is bound to the top-level Zope object)
   2008-04-11 12:04:05 WARNING Init Class
   Products.HappySession.HappySession.HappySession has a security
   declaration for nonexistent method 'manage_menu'
   [snipped a bunch of warnings...]

   *>>> import Zope, ZPublisher*

   *>>> ZPublisher.Zope('')*

   [snipped a bunch of html and helpful info]
   Zope Quick Start
   You have not created any users in this Zope instance.  In order to
   log in and manage this Zope instance, you'll need to add an
   adminstrative
   user account.

   If you're running Zope on UNIX or Linux, you can create an
   administrative
user account via the "zopectl adduser" command from a shell. <b>Note: You'll need to shut Zope itself down before "zopectl adduser" will work. Restart
   Zope after executing this command in order to log in.</b>

   WARNING: you are running Zope 2.8.X with python 2.4.X, this is not a
   supported
   combination. Don't file bugreports or ask for support on zope.org.

And apparently, I'm running 2.8.7 not 2.7.2 as I thought. And I'm not supposted to ask you for help. Help!

W.