Jonathan wrote:

A couple of things...

1) Have bare try/except clauses may cause you grief ;-)19

Specifically, in this case, I'll bet an "unexpected exception" is being raised and swallowed...

2) When an error is trapped by the 'try' statement the transaction is not committed (ie. nothing is written to your db), only the 'except' statement is executed.

Actually, I don't think that's true. The transaction will be committed by the publisher machiner that calls the external method...