Dieter Maurer wrote:
Giampiero Benvenuti wrote at 2008-5-24 11:47 +0200:
after the upgrade from zope2.9.7 to 2.10.6 i get this error in the event log:

2008-05-24T09:31:32 ERROR Zope.SiteErrorLog http://myurl/error_log/manage_main
Traceback (innermost last):
  Module Shared.DC.Scripts.Bindings, line 350, in _bindAndExec
  Module Products.PageTemplates.PageTemplateFile, line 129, in _exec
  Module Products.PageTemplates.PageTemplate, line 89, in pt_render
  Module zope.pagetemplate.pagetemplate, line 117, in pt_render
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 271, in __call__
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 346, in interpret
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 379, in do_startEndTag
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 412, in do_startTag
TypeError: len() of unsized object

Looks as if the Zope 2.10 PageTemplate implementation made a big
step backward with respect to quality of traceback information :-((

As far as I can see, traceback information was never added within the TAL interpreter but always for TALES expression evalutation. The traceback above seems to be about something going wrong within the TAL interpreter which is probably why we don't see any further traceback info.

Shane had added lots of "__traceback_info__" and "__traceback_supplement__"
declarations to the older code such that the tracebacks were
very informative....
... unlike the traceback above.

As far as I can tell, the code in zope.pagetemplate and zope.tales still has the same traceback information that Products.PageTemplate had. zope.tal, which contains the TAL interpreter, doesn't have any traceback supplements, but then again, Zope 2's TAL package doesn't either.

To conclude, I don't think there's a "step backward" at all.