M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> On 2008-09-24 08:02, Jaroslav Lukesh wrote:

>> But now I want to make some kind of portable, near OS independent (win/lin)
>> compact zope solution. So I look for RDB with like "blackbox" functionality,
>> with nothing special to make backups of running system (like make backup of
>> Data.fs) and nothing to install when move - make backup copy of live system
>> and then run it on another machine. Installations are allowed only in case
>> of change OS platform.
> I guess you're better off with storing your data in the ZODB if
> you're looking for file copy based consistent backups.

ZODB's file storage doesn't allow it, either, although people get away
with it most of the time.  The only safe way to copy a FileStorage
without stopping the server is to use repozo, which creates a backup set
that can be copied and restored to recreate the same Data.fs.

> I don't know of any RDBMS that would allow file copy based backups
> from a running system while still maintaining consistency. At the very
> least, the database system has to flush its buffers to the database
> files, so you need special tools for the backup one way or another.
> OTOH, nearly all database systems provide live backup tools
> which create consistent backups of a running system.

That is repozo's job, too.

- --
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)