I am suspecting that serial in MySQL works like serial in PostgreSQL in which
a sequence is automatically created.  If so, you should be able to query the
last_value field in the sequence without having to call the function.  The
field
name might be different in MySQL, I don't know.  This will give you the last
value inserted and if you need the next just add 1.

  Also, if it is an auto increment column and again if it is like PostgreSQL
then all you have to do is use the word 'default' without quotes and it "auto
increments" the value for the new insert.  See if there is a default for your
serial field.

Thomas

--
 Normally I'm against big things,
 I think the world is going to be saved by millions of small things.

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
Operations & Systems Analyst            P O Box 32026
University Library                                Boone, North Carolina 28608
(828) 262 6587

Library Systems Help Desk: https://www.library.appstate.edu/help/