Zope 2.11, Python 2.4

The authentication issue has been resolved.  Our Zopes run with Pound as a
reverse proxy front-end.  Current versions of Pound demand conformity to
the http protocol which ZSyncer violates.  The error returned
was interpreted incorrectly as an Authentication Error.  Connecting
directly within the subnet resolved that problem.

Now there is another problem.  My setup has at the source machine has

as the destination and selects the ConnectionMgr and relative paths.
The user:pass is a special user for transfers and has Manager permissions.
In our setup, the zsyncerinstance is in the root directory so it should make
no difference.  Experimentally, it makes no difference--unchecking the
relaive feature throws the same error.

"Sync" throws an error with a traceback:

# EOFError
# Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/opt/Zope2.11/lib/python/DocumentTemplate/DT_Try.py", line 149, in
result = render_blocks(self.section, md)
File "/opt/Zope2.11/lib/python/DocumentTemplate/DT_Util.py", line 196, in
return eval(code, d)
File "", line 0, in ?
File "/opt/zope/zinstances/xxx/Products/ZSyncer/ZSyncer.py", line
in manage_compare
File "/opt/zope/zinstances/xxx/Products/ZSyncer/ZSyncer.py", line
in _compare_path
dest_base_info, dest_sub_info = self._getRemoteList(remote, path)
File "/opt/zope/zinstances/xxx/Products/ZSyncer/ZSyncer.py", line
in _getRemoteList
return serverconn.manage_listObjects(path)
File "/opt/zope/zinstances/xxx/Products/ZSyncer/ConnectionMgr.py", line
183, in __call__
ok,rd = cPickle.loads(data)

which has me baffled.  Any suggestions?   Other folks have been using
ZSyncer without problems on Zope 2.11.

Dieter, you contributed the ConnectionMgr patch -- do you have any idea
where things might be failing?