On 4 July 2011 14:48, Fernando <ferna...@cmartins.nl> wrote:
> On Jul 4, 2011 13:30 "Laurence Rowe" <l...@lrowe.co.uk> wrote:
>
> I suggest using http://pypi.python.org/pypi/plone.recipe.zope2instance
> (it is not Plone specific) and referring to the Plone documentation
> for installing add-ons:
> http://plone.org/documentation/kb/add-ons/installing
>
> Thanks Lawrence,
>
> I have already a zope 2.13.7 installation following the instructions and
> using virtualenv. This seems to be an alternative to the buildout system
> explained in those links.
>
> There are several options in the add-ons page and I don't feel confident it
> really applies to my case:

I would recommend using buildout, most people do, if you have problems
it helps to be in the main stream.

> 1) what is the ZSQLMethods package in pypi?
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Products.ZSQLMethods/2.13.4. It's a zip with
> some "egg-info" stuff in there but it is not clear that it really is an egg
> (no .egg extension)

This is a source distribution that a binary egg will be automatically
built from. As you are using virtualenv you should be able to
easy_install Products.ZSQLMethods in the same way you installed Zope2.
(I hope you have some way of ensuring a consistent known good set of
packages equivalent to the buildout versions.cfg, without it you are
unlikely to get a working system.)

> 2) is Buildout compatible with virtualenv? The option to install an Egg
> without Buildout is not recommended over there.

On my development machine I have a virtualenv python (using
--no-site-packages) which I use to run buildout's bootstrap.

Laurence