Matthew,
Sascha,

you probably need to know the concepts of Zope Through-the-web (TTW) and Filesystem (FS) Product Coding. Some templates, scripts are in the ZODB and editable via ZMI - the recommended style for a not so recent Zope version is using FS Zope Products. Please identify the zope version by using the ZMI-ControlPanel.
I'm reading up on the TTW and FS stuff. Any articles/pages you particulary recommend?

http://readthedocs.org/docs/collective-docs/en/latest/

I can't edit anything using the ZMI, when I click on the pages in 'Content' I get the error message.

The version line from the error log is this - 'Zope/(Zope 2.9.4-final, python 2.4.3, linux2) ZServer/1.1 Plone/2.5'

Please compare the way you start the zope instance with the way your former colleague did it.

I'm not sure what the previous guy did, but I've used the init script (/etc/init.d/zope start) and the zopectl script in the bin/ in the instance. All methods of starting give the same errors. I have had to restart zope before now, and I've always used zopectl and that's worked fine. It's only since the server crashed it's not worked. I'd only used zopectl fg so I could see what was happening on startup. Currently the site (www.legulcerforum.org) is started using the init script.

Identify if you are using a custom developed Zope Product with templates and a 'main_template' and optionally a 'folder_listing' Zope Page Template or similar. Find them by searching in the filesystem ('Products' Folder is one option) and in the ZMI and tell us the location if you find them.
I don't think it's custom, I've put a list of the Products directory on pastebin:

http://pastebin.com/cftnjbgZ

I think it's pretty much just plone.

Please go for portal_skins tool in ZMI , identify the current skin and check that the chosen skin lists several layers. These layers consist of several FS Directory View belonging to several products and their skin directories. If you are using Plone 2.5 use this book. There is also a HTML version free available in the web.
http://plone.org/documentation/kb/definitive-guide

Consult the chapter about skinning Plone, the 'custom' folder and the setup of skins and layers.

It could be that the Filesystem Directory Views need to be created manually - if the product code is not doing that properly.
How can I check that?

I used the ATCT Tool to recatalog the site, not sure if that's the same thing.

Please check this stuff and come back. And the way with pastebin is right - the more (proper) information we have the better. At the moment the bits and pieces of your application are not complete to me - help me. Now its your turn.

I have started to see some more errors in the error_log eg:

http://pastebin.com/ZrhquAZH

I will have a look at that later - I need to go now.

Hopefully that's useful.  Thanks for you help.

Matthew

Sascha

Sascha