I've been working, on and off, with fRiSi on a resolution to this issue:

I'm feeling like I need some backup from someone with a better understanding of
i18n than I currently possess.  Is there anyone on list who'd like to look at
that issue and fRiSi's and my comments and perhaps suggest a proper fix for the
current issue?

The problem I'm having is that the issue with CMFPlone fRiSi pointed to on the
ticket seems to me to indicate that the portlet's title and description need to
be in the 'plone' i18n namespace in order to have them appear in the
@@manage_portlets view as translated.  However, our current solution puts them
in the namespace of the newly created package.  This brings up some interesting
problems.  Can we have more than one i18n namespace for a package?  Is having
more than one a good idea?  If not, should all translations for the new package
be in the plone namespace if there's a portlet present?  Am I just missing
something obvious and over-thinking the whole problem?  I'd appreciate any
advice someone with solid i18n experience might be able to provide.

Cris Ewing
Webmaster, Lead Developer
Department of Radiology Web Services
University of Washington