On Jun 1, 2010, at 1:33 AM, Maurits van Rees wrote:

> Hi,
> The default metadata.xml that ZopeSkel has in various templates looks
> like this:
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <metadata>
> <version>1</version>
> </metadata>
> If nobody objects, I intend to change the version from 1 to 1000. The
> reason is that GenericSetup can get confused when comparing version
> numbers for possible upgrade steps. It compares them alphabetically, so
> for example it does not realize that 10 is higher than 9. I ran into
> problems with this a while ago; I do not remember what exactly goes
> wrong, but I think GS thinks like this: "The currently installed profile
> is 9, we have an upgrade step from 9 to 10; who cares: 9 is higher than
> 10 so I am not going to run that step or even list it unless the user
> asks me for all steps." Or it may think: "Hey, we are currently at
> profile version 13, let's show the upgrade steps from 1 to 2, 2 to 3,
> etc." Not very helpful. :-)
> Having 1000 as number solves that problem and it is what I have been
> doing in packages I make. If the package I work on gets backwards
> incompatible changes that warrant creating a maintenance branch, I would
> create branches/1.0, keep the metadata.xml number the same (so 1000 if
> there have been no profile changes yet). On trunk I would update the
> version.txt/setup.py number from 1.0 to 1.1 or 2.0 and increase the
> metadata.xml version from 1000 to 1100 or 2000 (and create an upgrade
> step for that, possibly a dummy one if nothing needs to happen).  This
> creates a gap in the profile version numbers so there is room in the 1.0
> branch to add some more upgrade steps if needed.
Since this is what Plone itself is doing now, I can be behind it 100%.  Can you
make the changes needed, Maurits?

> Also, quite quickly after the previous 2.16 release on March 23, some
> changes were made, most notably a bug fix for the problem with the
> missing locales directory. After that, nothing has happened for over two
> months, so I'd say we can cut a new release.
This is entirely my fault.  I'd been intending to cut 2.17, but got bogged down
in day-to-day stuff for too long.  My apologies.

There's been some good recent work done adding a browserlayer local command,
cleaning up a few of the templates and even adding a new hosting template (done
this weekend at the sprint at PSE2010).  My plan is to merge those branches
back to trunk and cut 2.17 within the next week or so.

> --
> Maurits van Rees
> Programmer, Zest Software

Cris Ewing