Hi all!

(Back from a reinstall; took several weeks before I got around to
setting up news.gmane.org <-> Thunderbird again).

On 10/1/10 12:24 PM, Cristopher Ewing wrote:

> On Oct 1, 2010, at 12:00 AM, Martin Aspeli wrote:
>

>> 2010/10/1 Cristopher Ewing <cew...@u.washington.edu
>> <mailto:cew...@u.washington.edu>>
>>

>>     On Sep 30, 2010, at 1:45 PM, Elizabeth Leddy wrote:
>>

>>>         On 9/30/10 11:50 AM, Cristopher Ewing wrote:
>>>         > Greetings, all.
>>>         >
>>>         > Today we release ZopeSkel 2.18, a bugfix release to the
>>>         venerable code generation tool for Zope and Plone.
>>>         >
>>>         > In this release:
>>>         >
>>>         > • fix for http://plone.org/products/zopeskel/issues/48,
>>>         bin/zopeskel --version now reports current version number
>>>         > • fix for http://plone.org/products/zopeskel/issues/46,
>>>         profile directory now properly created
>>>         > • fix for http://plone.org/products/zopeskel/issues/44,
>>>         portlet titles now correctly internationalized in plone domain.
>>>         > • we now use plone 3.3.5 as the default plone version for
>>>         plone3_buildout
>>>         I think we should either make it use 4.0, create a separate
>>>         plone4_buildout, or rename plone3_buildout to plone_buildout
>>>

>>>     Would also like to see the plone hosting stuff get integrated at
>>>     some point - its just sitting in a branch right now. Happy to
>>>     help when needed.
>>>
>>>     Liz
>>>
>>     Liz,
>>
>>     My next step is to begin the great break-up of zopeskel. This
>>     means breaking the current, monolithic package into a series of
>>     smaller packages (zopeskel.core, zopeskel.zope, zopeskel.plone,
>>     etc). This would be the perfect time to bring both the new
>>     zopeskel.hosting and zopeskel.dexterity packages into the fold.
>>

>> +1
>>
>> And if we do this, I'd like to be able to install + use templates that
>> *don't* install the local command support. The extra paster
>> dependencies in setup.py cause problems (buildout downloads them into
>> the development distribution directory itself, and there's no offline
>> support, for example).
>>
>> Martin
>
> Yep, If you take a look at SPLITTING_PROPOSAL.txt in the zopeskel trunk,
> you can see that this is on the list of breakouts.

What are folks' opinions on one of those packages being something called
zopeskel.plonecore I.e. a package (or meta package) containing a core
set of functionality maintained by the core developers?

I'm considering plipping (and championing along with help from others)
something like this for 4.2 because I'd really like to see tighter
integration between Plone core and the utilities surrounding it (to
improve end user experience, ultimately).

Alex

--
Alex Clark · http://aclark.net
Author — Plone 3.3 Site Administration · http://aclark.net/admin