Greetings all,

I have taken the first steps towards a refactoring of ZopeSkel from a
monolithic package into a federated series of namespace packages.  For
information on the reasoning behind this move, and the goals of the move,
please refer to the SPLITTING_PROPOSAL document in the trunk of ZopeSkel:

http://dev.plone.org/collective/browser/ZopeSkel/trunk/SPLITTING-PROPOSAL.txt

To make the pursuit of this project a bit easier, I've set up a development
buildout designed to ease the process and keep anyone who wants to participate
on the same page.  The buildout is also located in the ZopeSkel repository here:

http://dev.plone.org/collective/browser/ZopeSkel/buildouts/v3refactor.buildout

The basic idea is that as we break off pieces of ZopeSkel from the current
main package, we will replace them with the new packages we create, add a line
for each package in the 'install_requires' part of the setup.py file and then
import the entirety of the new package into the top-level __init__.py of the
ZopeSkel egg.  When we are finished, we should have a completely empty egg
where ZopeSkel used to be, as well as a set of new packages which can be
installed individually or in clumps to provide the functionality that a
developer requires for a given project.

To this point I have created a new branch of ZopeSkel
(http://dev.plone.org/collective/browser/ZopeSkel/branches/cewing-v3refactor),
and one new, empty package 'zopeskel.core'.  I've got the setup.py for it
written so one can install it as an egg, and I've moved the 'install_requires'
for Paste and PasteDeploy' into that package.

The buildout uses mr.developer so we will be able to check out new packages as
they are created easily and with the minimum of hassle.

Forward to the future!!!

Cris Ewing
Webmaster, Lead Developer
Department of Radiology Web Services