From: zopeskel-boun...@lists.plone.org
[mailto:zopeskel-boun...@lists.plone.org] On Behalf Of Cristopher Ewing
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2010 5:36 PM
To: Zopeskel Users and Developers
Subject: Re: [Zopeskel] ZopeSkel v3 refactoring begins

On Oct 9, 2010, at 10:42 AM, Marcos Romero wrote:

> +1 Clayton's idea.
> But can't we use "paster" as basic namespace?
>
> Regards
>
> --
> Marcos F. Romero
> Responsable de Desarrollo
> Inter-Cultura
>
> marcos.rom...@inter-cultura.com
> www.inter-cultura.com
> +54 11 4542-8299
>

> On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 2:13 AM, Clayton Parker <clay...@sixfeetup.com> wrote:
>> On Oct 4, 2010, at 3:20 PM, Cristopher Ewing wrote:
>>
>>> Greetings all,
>>>
>>> I have taken the first steps towards a refactoring of ZopeSkel from a
>>> monolithic package into a federated series of namespace packages.  For
>>> information on the reasoning behind this move, and the goals of the move,
>>> please refer to the SPLITTING_PROPOSAL document in the trunk of ZopeSkel:
>>>
>>> http://dev.plone.org/collective/browser/ZopeSkel/trunk/SPLITTING-PROPOSAL.txt
>>
>> I was reviewing the proposal and had a thought about naming. There is no
>> real reason to use the zopeskel namespace, especially for the core package.
>> Shouldn't we make the namespace more inviting to non Zope projects?
>>
>> I took a look on pypi and there are current packages named skel and
>> skeleton. One abandoned package is called skeletor. It had similar goals way
>> back when. That would be a fitting name, but would probably be confusing
>> given there is already a skeletor package.
>>
>> Just thought I'd voice my concern before we got too far into the renaming
>> process. The ZopeSkel egg could still serve as the all-in-one for Zope/Plone
>> devs.
>>
>> Clayton
>> --
>> Six Feet Up, Inc. | Sponsor of Plone Conference 2010 (Oct. 25th-31st)
>> Direct Line: +1 (317) 861-5948 x603
>> Email: clay...@sixfeetup.com
>> Try Plone 4 Today at: http://plone4demo.com
>>
>> How am I doing? Please contact my manager Gabrielle Hendryx-Parker
>> at gabrie...@sixfeetup.com with any feedback.

You know, this is a great idea.  It would certainly help with solving the
problem I'm having at the moment, which is that ZopeSkel the egg installs a
package called 'zopeskel', which is _not_ a namespace package.  When you try to
combine that with a bunch of namespace packages called zopeskel.X and
zopeskel.Y, you end up with a big, yucky mess.

As for using the 'paster' namespace, I'm inclined not to, since we actually
intend on deprecating our dependency on the Paste line of packages at some
point after the breakup is complete.

Perhaps 'templater', or something like that?

Anyone have good ideas for a namespace?  I'd love to get settled on something
before I check in my first alpha of the 'zopeskel.core' package (which is
pretty much ready to go at this point).

Cris Ewing
Webmaster, Lead Developer
Department of Radiology Web Services