On Nov 15, 2010, at 10:27 AM, Clayton Parker wrote:

>> IIRC, the latest versions of plone3_buildout will take any (I guess)
>> version of Plone when it asks. I've made Plone 4 buildouts with it a
>> bunch of times over the past year.
> I've done something similar for our internal buildout setup. It accepts 3.3.x
> and 4.x versions. Just takes a few conditions to make everything work
> properly.
The number of conditions needed to keep it working for all versions from 3.0 up
to the current 4.x releases is quickly growing unwieldy.  The plone3_buildout
template currently doesn't include anything that would help users to properly
set up blob support.

>> Maybe the plone3_buildout template needs to be renamed?
> +1
I'm a little leery of this, given that we've established a pattern of naming
buildout templates according to the versions of plone supported.  This would
certainly be the shortest route to filling the current need, but it's a
sub-optimal solution for the long-run.  Then again, the long run lies in
templer, not in zopeskel as it currently exists, so perhaps the short and easy
solution is best for now.

>> Is there even a
>> template for a pre-3.0 buildout?
Yes, there is a plone25_buildout recipe.

>> IMHO, any Plone buildouts should be rolled into one template class, and
>> process differently depending on what version the user wants to use.
> +1

That's sort of the way it works right now.  Given the number of significant
differences, and given our desire to keep the zopeskel plone4 buildout
stylistically aligned with the buildout used in the installers, I'm inclined to
disagree with making them all work off of one template.  The logic in the
template for plone3_buildout is already pretty twisted, needing to support
eggified and non-eggified zope, eggified and non-eggified Plone and several
other branch points.  I'm inclined to think that maintaining more--but less
complicated--templates is easier.

At any rate, does anyone have the time to help add new or alter existing
buildout and theme templates to support plone4 in a more explicit way?

Cris Ewing
Webmaster, Lead Developer
Department of Radiology Web Services
University of Washington