Please stop giving arguments from the spec. I also know the spec.
I am trying to come with a solution to the problem. This problem cannot be
solved by sticking to the spec.

So I want like this: have a variable that contains an absolute or relative file
system path, and resolve it to a base absolute URI. There should be no
if(is_absolute_path) and no if(win32) in the xquery code. Right now this
doesn't work, because our URI implementation considers the absolute Win32 path
as a relative path, because it doesn't start with slash.

Maybe we shoud add another function in the file module, like
file:path-to-uri-path, which should add a slash for absolute win32 paths, and
leave the relative paths as they are.