Sorry, but we implement a spec. You've suggested at least two changes which
would break our compliance with that spec, so I don't have much choice but to
quote the spec back at you.

It sounds like what you want would be best served by an extension to the Expath
file module. As I said in my previous note, I'd certainly support you if you
wanted to propose adding the two-argument form of file:path-to-uri(). It would
be easy to implement, since we already have this functionality in the C++ API
(zorba::filesystem_path::normalize_path()). Alternately, you could introduce a
new internal module for your needs, or even add a "change working directory"
function to the system module - I'd ask on zorba-coders for comments if you're
considering either of those options.
--
https://code.launchpad.net/~danielturcanu/zorba/mytrunk/+merge/78253