I think it's fine to restrict the API to only allow one iterator at a time. If
the user has a use case
that requires two active iterators at a time, he should think about his use
case and eventually
materialize in his code.

I'm going to approve the merge proposal.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/867262

Title:
  Ext func arg item seq can not be consumed 2 times

Status in Zorba - The XQuery Processor:
  New

Bug description:
  If one tried to consume an external function argument item sequence 2
  times, the 2nd time no more item is returned: next returns false and
  the item is NULL.

  To reproduce, take any external module and in the "evaluate"
  implementation of a function do the following (make sure that the
  function receives a non non-empty sequence as the first parameter):

  Item item;

  Iterator_t iter = args[0]->getIterator();
  iter->open();
  iter->next(item);
  iter->close();

  // item is valid here