> Connection dropped...
> Do you know why document nodes have a component less than any other kind of
> node when they are the root of their tree?

I finally found out what you meant (the code is in the OrdPathNode ctor, not
the OrdPath ctor).
I think the reason why element node as root has an extra component in its
ordpath is to support fn:put on element nodes. The w3c tests require that
whatever is fn:put-ed, is retrievable by fn:doc(), which means that I have to
put a doc node as parent to the element node. But I think this can be fixed,
because the element node is going to be copied anyway.

> Another question, tree ids are expected to be unique among all tree currently
> in the store, or not?

Yes, this is the assumption, although it is not really enforced in the
simplestore. Why do you ask?