It is absolutely the goal that module developers should be able to work
against a binary installation of Zorba, and I know that it actually did
work at some point in time. I certainly took some pains to make that use
case functional when developing the initial non-core module
architecture. In particular, I am sure that at some point it was
possible to build a non-core module AND run its tests without needing a
Zorba build directory.

David, have you actually tried it? Follow the instructions from our
documentation:

http://www.zorba-
xquery.com/html/documentation/2.1.0/zorba/modules_authoring

starting with the "Creating a CMake Module Project" section.

That said, a lot has changed since I last tried it, and I don't think
anybody is actually doing development in that fashion. So it wouldn't
surprise me to find out that this is currently broken. Also, the
particular case of inter-module dependencies is one that has never
worked very well, so it may well be that that doesn't work even if
simpler modules do. So, I'll take this bug as a reason to check out the
current situation and see if there are things to improve.

** Changed in: zorba

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/943150

Title:
  Allow Module Development without Zorba Sources

Status in Zorba - The XQuery Processor:
  New

Bug description:
  As far as I see it correctly, module development can currently not be done
without checking out zorba sources and compiling it. One reason are the module
dependencies
  E.g. the following dependency in the http-client module works only, if the
data converter sources are available:
  FIND_PACKAGE(zorba_data-converters_module REQUIRED
    HINTS ${DATA_CONVERTERS_BUILD_DIR})

  And testing seems to be possible only if the build directory of zorba
  is available.

  Would be nice if those two things (defining module dependencies and
  writing/executing tests for a module) were possible with the Zorba
  installation. I should not be necessary to compile zorba to hack a new
  module.

  Chris, I assigned the bug to you because I know you are the master of
  this stuff. You might have comments on this. Thanks in advance!