It is absolutely the goal that module developers should be able to work
against a binary installation of Zorba, and I know that it actually did
work at some point in time. I certainly took some pains to make that use
case functional when developing the initial non-core module
architecture. In particular, I am sure that at some point it was
possible to build a non-core module AND run its tests without needing a
Zorba build directory.

David, have you actually tried it? Follow the instructions from our

starting with the "Creating a CMake Module Project" section.

That said, a lot has changed since I last tried it, and I don't think
anybody is actually doing development in that fashion. So it wouldn't
surprise me to find out that this is currently broken. Also, the
particular case of inter-module dependencies is one that has never
worked very well, so it may well be that that doesn't work even if
simpler modules do. So, I'll take this bug as a reason to check out the
current situation and see if there are things to improve.

** Changed in: zorba

  Allow Module Development without Zorba Sources

  As far as I see it correctly, module development can currently not be done
without checking out zorba sources and compiling it. One reason are the module
  E.g. the following dependency in the http-client module works only, if the
data converter sources are available:
  FIND_PACKAGE(zorba_data-converters_module REQUIRED

  And testing seems to be possible only if the build directory of zorba
  is available.

  Would be nice if those two things (defining module dependencies and
  writing/executing tests for a module) were possible with the Zorba
  installation. I should not be necessary to compile zorba to hack a new

  Chris, I assigned the bug to you because I know you are the master of
  this stuff. You might have comments on this. Thanks in advance!