I cannot reproduce the problem. What I did was add thie follwoing
function:

declare function ext:bar3($i as xs:integer)
{
   $i + 2
};

in ext_mod.xq file (in test/unit) and then run the external_function
unit test. I did get the expected error of duplicate function
declaration.

Can you provide a complete specific test that shows the bug?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/862971

Title:
  No error upon (almost) duplicate function declarations

Status in Zorba - The XQuery Processor:
  Incomplete

Bug description:
  If you declare two XQuery functions that have the same name and
  signature (arity) in the same file, but the first is declared
  "external" and the second one isn't, Zorba allows the second
  declaration. It should be reported as an error.