>> The query imports base64, but it's not used explicitly anywhere.
Sorry, my fault. I forgot to remove the unused module.

>> How does the query "know" to output in base64?
I do not really understand. The results of file:read-binary and
http-client:send-request($request)[2]  are base64 items. Therefore, the query
outputs base64, no?

  resulting base64 in http-client is wrong

  I am having a query (see attachment) which imports the same image with
  the file and the http-client module. Unfortunately, the resulting
  base64 values are different. The file module works properly. The
  imported base64 string is correct. But the one coming from the http-
  client module is broken.

  Before running the query, you need to download the image file into the
  directory where the query is located. e.g. wget