It seems your investigation makes sense. However, I think that the
solution should be to not do any transcoding for any non-textual content
(even if the user gives one).

  resulting base64 in http-client is wrong

Status in Zorba - The XQuery Processor:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  I am having a query (see attachment) which imports the same image with
  the file and the http-client module. Unfortunately, the resulting
  base64 values are different. The file module works properly. The
  imported base64 string is correct. But the one coming from the http-
  client module is broken.

  Before running the query, you need to download the image file into the
  directory where the query is located. e.g. wget