I believe this is actually all completed, although it may not have
associated test cases. I also can't remember whether I implemented the
"mixed" override flag or not, although I don't think so.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/918151

Title:
  JSON serializer should disallow mixed JDM/XDM

Status in Zorba - The XQuery Processor:
  New

Bug description:
  Based on the first item in the sequence being serialized, the default
  serializer (currently xml_emitter) should either output only JSON
  items, or only XDM items. It should raise an error if a mixed sequence
  is detected. It should also suppress the XML version declaration for
  JSON sequences.

  Ideally there would be some internally flag (or possibly an alternate
  serialization method, eg. -z method=mixed) to allow serialization of
  mixed sequences for testing purposes, even though such output would be
  neither valid XML nor valid JSON.