Maybe, some additional explanation is needed:

On Ubuntu 64Bit, we (28msec) are compiling c-client ourselves. Otherwise, the
email modules do not compile (we created a ppa repository for this:
https://launchpad.net/~28msec/+archive/cclient).

When I build the c-client library myself, I discovered that it has the symbol
crypt in the static library if the crypt library is available on the system:
nm /usr/lib/libc-client.a | grep crypt
                 U ERR_load_crypto_strings
                 U crypt

The crypt library is located at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypt.so. Somehow,
it seems to be available at ubuntu 64 bit only. So, when the static c-client
has the crypt symbol, the email module doesn't work without my fix. It's
complaining:

./bin/zorba -q ~/sausalito/build/test.xq  -f
operating system error [zerr:ZOSE0005]:
"/home/dagraf/zorba/build/LIB_PATH/com/zorba-xquery/www/modules/email/libsmtp_1.0.so":
 error loading dynamic library:
/home/dagraf/zorba/build/LIB_PATH/com/zorba-xquery/www/modules/email/libsmtp_1.0.so:
 undefined symbol: crypt; raised at
/home/dagraf/zorba/sandbox/src/context/dynamic_loader.cpp:168

After googling and debugging for several hours, I managed to fix the problem by
adding the crypt dependency to the linker. But I don't know why the static
c-client library needs it ...
--
https://code.launchpad.net/~davidagraf/zorba/email-module-crypt/+merge/113366
Your team Zorba Coders is subscribed to branch lp:zorba/email-module.