Yes, Zorba's XQSE is not 100% compliant with W3C XQUF.

There is also the W3C XQSE spec (,
but it's only a working draft, which has not been updated for more than
2 years and which is not implemented by anybody (as far as I know).
Nevertheless, W3C XQSE takes the same approach as Zorba's XQSE with
regard to the issue raised by this bug. Read section 2.4:

"2.4 Updating Expression Constraints

XQSX relaxes the constraints on the placement of updating expressions,
so that a non-empty XDM instance can be returned by an expression as
well as a non-empty pending update list. In order to allow this, new
rules to determine the category and resulting pending update list are
added to every existing expression, following certain principles:

Furthermore, what does "compliant" really mean? The W3C XQSE spec says
the following (in section 1):

"XQSX has the following properties:

    It is a strict superset of XQUF, in the sense that all valid XQUF
expressions are also valid XQSX expressions and have the same meaning.
(In the same sense, XQUF is a strict superset of [XQuery 1.0].)"

I believe the same is true for Zorba's XQSE (but i need to double check
this). But your query is not a *valid* XQUF expression, so is there
really any violation here?

  Illegal updating expressions

  <a/>, delete node <a/>

  Expected: XUST0001