@Chris, you are right, since I added the <?xml version="1.0"
encoding="UTF-8" ?> xmllint also prints it properly. But with "xmllint
--encode ascii wiki.xml" you get my describe behaviour, strange

Anyway, so all characters are valid UTF-8. But what I found is that most
characters in that document aren't those they appear to be. For example
most y's aren't actually the ordinary Y (&#121;) but rather the "Latin
Capital Letter Y with hook" (&#435;). Similarily, some i's aren't
actually the ordinary I (&#105;), but the "Cyrillic Small Letter
Byelorussian-Ukrainian I" (&#1110). Hope that helps.

  xml:parse() - infinite loop

  "xmllint wiki.xml" reveals that for some reason the input file contains lots
of numeric character references (cat and vim decode those automatically).
  Strangely it doesn't seem to be only one character but a combination of lines
that provokes the behaviour (I tried removing some lines individually but
couldn't reproduce after that).