BTW: when I wrote, "... I don't think there's anything I can do about
this ..." I meant, "... until the "downstream" XML serializer is fixed

  JSON Module not escaping escape characters

  The module doesn't convert escaped characters as you would expect. You
instead get a string containing the string with it's unescaped value. A
conversion needs to be implemented, something such as:
  JSON <-> XML
  \"    <-> &quot;
  \\    <-> \
  \/    <-> /
  \b    <-> &#x8;
  \n    <-> *actual newline*
  \r    <-> *actual carriage return*
  \u$$$$<-> &#x$$$$; or #$$$$$; with the correct hex-decimal conversion
  >     <-> &gt;
  '     <-> &apos;

  This proposition might create a regresion related to bug #866757.