After some investigation, I don't think there's anything I can do about
this. When *I* get a string's value via store::Item::getStringValue(),
it is in its canonical representation, i.e., < is actually a literal
<, etc. There's some other XML serializer "downstream" from me that
converts the illegal characters in XML to their &'d counterparts. If
it's serializing JSON, clearly, it shouldn't do that.

Note that characters like <, >, &, are actually *legal* in JSON, so
those shouldn't be converted at all. (In fact, it's illegal to \ them.)

  JSON Module not escaping escape characters

  The module doesn't convert escaped characters as you would expect. You
instead get a string containing the string with it's unescaped value. A
conversion needs to be implemented, something such as:
  JSON <-> XML
  \"    <-> &quot;
  \\    <-> \
  \/    <-> /
  \b    <-> &#x8;
  \n    <-> *actual newline*
  \r    <-> *actual carriage return*
  \u$$$$<-> &#x$$$$; or #$$$$$; with the correct hex-decimal conversion
  >     <-> &gt;
  '     <-> &apos;

  This proposition might create a regresion related to bug #866757.