>> - remove from modules/w3c/xpath_functions.xq (it's not defined in the XQuery
>> FOTS spec)
> Sorry my mistake, I did it for testing because the function as not being
> detected and forgot to remove it.
>> - the function should handle streamable strings as well
>> - does canonicalization allow for options? If so, we should expose them
> Yes it have encoding and some options
> http://xmlsoft.org/html/libxml-parser.html#xmlParserOption, should I add them?
Yes, probably most of them. I would start with
    XML_PARSE_NOENT = 2 : substitute entities
    XML_PARSE_DTDLOAD = 4 : load the external subset
    XML_PARSE_DTDATTR = 8 : default DTD attributes
    XML_PARSE_DTDVALID = 16 : validate with the DTD
    XML_PARSE_NOBLANKS = 256 : remove blank nodes
    XML_PARSE_NONET = 2048 : Forbid network access
    XML_PARSE_NSCLEAN = 8192 : remove redundant namespaces declarations
    XML_PARSE_NOCDATA = 16384 : merge CDATA as text nodes

>> - the prefix of the module should not be parse-xml anymore because there are
>> not only parsing-related functions in the module
> What would be a a good prefix?

>> - the function probably shouldn't raise any errors form the spec (i.e.
>> FODC0006)
> I thought that message fit the error, is there another one better for it or
> should I add one to the diagnostic?
I think you should define a new one.