> So what is the correct way to check a streamable string? Presumably the check
> has to be done while streaming...

I think the user of the streamable string has to do the checking, i.e., if
getStream() is called, then whoever is reading said stream has to do it -- the
StreamableString can't do it itself.

Well, the materialize() function could do it for those Item member functions
that force materialization; but it's not clear whether even that's worth doing
given the above.

Unless.... What if there were a utf8_streambuf that did validation as bytes
were read?  I think that's doable (and I have time to implement it).