Review: Needs Fixing

OK, I'm afraid I guess I don't know enough about the problem to know which
solution is best. Sorin, please work with Paul to determine how (and if) it
might be possible to implement this function without breaking streamability.
Paul can probably provide a method to allow the stream to check itself as it is
consumed by the remainder of the query, but it's not clear to me what the
consequences of that might be - in particular, it's not clear where the
exception would come from if this stream found invalid bytes.