Here's the e-mail I originally complained about this:

From: "Paul J. Lucas" <>
Subject: diagnostics/util_macros.h
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 10:34:50 -0700
To: zorba-coders <>

Markos -

Why did you add this file and these macros?  Part of the point of reworking
exceptions was to get rid of all those ugly ZORBA_ERROR macros -- and here you
are putting them back.

It's also not clear to anybody what they do.  If I see:

        RAISE_ERROR( ... )

I don't know what it does.  Does it print an error message and call abort?
Does it throw an exception?

The reason I designed the current exception mechanism the way it is is
precisely to leave the "throw" in the code explicitly visible so anybody
reading the code knows that an exception is being thrown and that execution
will not continue past that line.

- Paul