This is one of the cases that we will have to live with. It's a conflict between
JSONiq and HOF. We were trying to push the W3C to make the dynamic function
invocation
a map (i.e. $f could be () or a sequence of function items). However, the w3c
didn't
want to go this way.

-> In this case, $f is not the empty object - it is just a virtual single item
(as is always the case for a for variable, without "allowing empty") that it
will never get bound to.

We do not have to consider $f an object lookup in this case, right? I have the
more general feeling that there might be something wrong in type inference
regarding for loops on empty sequences.

--
https://code.launchpad.net/~zorba-coders/zorba/bug-1123165/+merge/159822