Review: Needs Fixing

Unfortunately, I don't think the proposed change is safe. istream::unget() is
not guaranteed to work, and in particular it probably won't work if the stream
is coming via HTTP.

However, there is a function StreamResource::isStreamSeekable(). Perhaps you
could check that flag, and only call the BOM-checking/unget block of code when
it returns true. We could at least claim that we are making a best-effort to
validate the incoming data.

I would be much happier with something like a three-byte "wrapper" stream
buffer that worked the same way BufferedInputStream does in Java, but it seems
like that is somehow really hard to accomplish in C++.