On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 08:12:53AM +0000, Marc Worrell wrote:
> Thinking of it… we do use a lot of records for all notifications and
> postbacks.
>
> Are those supported in Elixir?

Records are supported, here is the Elixir syntax:
https://hexdocs.pm/elixir/Record.html
Maps are generally easier to deal with than records, though, in both languages.

I have converted larger Erlang codebases to Elixir incrementally. The
first step is generally to switch the project to using using mix, the
Elixir build tool. Second is to switch to using maps for the core data
structures, so it's easier to interoperate. Then we do a "mechanical"
conversion from Erlang to Elixir, as the language semantics are
essentially the same. Depending on the state of tests in the project, we
would either use the Erlang tests to validate that things are still
working properly, or write tests using Elixir's ExUnit and friends.
Finally we start using the syntax improvements in Elixir to make the code nicer.

For interop, doing the first two steps would make things easiest for
Elixir folks. It adds a dependency on Elixir to build the system,
though.

> - Marc

Jake

--