(Reposting to the right mailing list).

Ian Bicking schrieb:
I'm surprised this has never come up for me before, but now I want to render a recursive data structure and I'm at a loss how I might do that in ZPT. Or, what the best workaround would be. E.g.:

['a', 'b', ['c', ['d', 'e']]]

The code above is not valid HTML[1]. This is one way how to do it:

<ul tal:define="nodes python:['a', 'b', ['c', ['d', 'e']]]">
  <li metal:define-macro="item"
      tal:repeat="node nodes">
                      content python:is_list and 'list:' or node"
    <ul tal:condition="is_list"
        tal:define="nodes node">
      <li metal:use-macro="template/macros/item"/>

I guess the template could call itself repeatedly. Which means the list can't be embedded in any other markup.

To embed it in another template simply call it:

<ul tal:replace="structure here/list"/>

(Or define a macro and use that).

Even better if the logic is in a script that renders the template, I think.

[1] <ul> can not have <ul> as parent