Fergal Daly wrote:
<content:encoded>
<![CDATA[
]]>
</content:encoded>

is essentially the same as

<content:encoded>

   &lt;span tal:replace=&quot;...&quot; /&gt

</content:encoded>

so TAL doesn't see a <span> element at all. It could be done with something like

<content:encoded>
</content:encoded>

I had the same idea right after my e-mail to this list, but the RSS feed (of which this tag is a part of) worked fine without CDATA. When I build the feed with the string expression, structure does not work for me (error). And without structure the feed's content starts with a "[" and ends with a ">" in my feed reader.

Jürgen