Thanks for the responses so far!

I'm have no knowledge about libzypp, where it stores its data and what.
Generally, libappstreamcore has to parse this appdata.xml file at some point,
to make the information available through its Xapian database. As it does not
download anything, the appdata.xml file(s) have to be on disc somewhere for it
to use. (That's as far as I understood the concept.)

What do you mean by the appdata.xml being "in the repo", is that on my
computer somewhere?

And generally I need the data not only for installed applications. Muon
Discover will only show those applications in the GUI which are contained
inside the AppStream files.

Thanks again,

Lukas