On Wednesday 22 April 2015 17:36:35 lynd...@your-mail.com wrote:
> I've edited zypp.conf
>       multiversion                        = kernel-xen
>       multiversion.kernels                =
> latest,latest-1,running,3.16.7-7,3.19.4-1.g74c332b
> and rebooted.
> With that config, I'd expected that I'd end up with ONE kernel-default, and
> several kernel-xen.

multiversion=   defines how NEW packages are going to be INSTALLED. 'Normal'
packages like  'rpm -U', automatically obsoleting old versions of the
package. 'Multiversion' packages like 'rpm -i' are just added.

Changing the setting does not affect already installed packages. Your
kernel-default packages will stay until the next kernel-default package is
(re-)installed without multiversion ('rpm -U'). E.g.

        zypper in -f kernel-default-4.0.0-1.1.g49e42b3

multiversion.kernels=   is actually an option of the purge-kernels service
from package mkinitrd. They simply hijacked the libzypp config file.

I don't know in detail how purge-kernels works, so I'm not sure whether it
actually evaluates zypps multiversion= settings. It may verry well be it
simply looks at the installed kernels and makes it's decision based on the
config values.

That's probably why the multiple 'kernel-default' are kept. But I also can't
explain why kernel-xen-3.16.7 is gone.

For an explanation/bugfix please file a bugreport at bugzilla.opensuse.org for
package mkinitrd.

    Michael Andres

Key fingerprint = 2DFA 5D73 18B1 E7EF A862  27AC 3FB8 9E3A 27C6 B0E4
Michael Andres       SUSE LINUX GmbH, Development,        m...@suse.de
Maxfeldstrasse 5, D-90409 Nuernberg, Germany, ++49 (0)911 - 74 053-0
SUSE Linux GmbH GF: Felix Imend├Ârffer, Jane Smithard, Jennifer Guild
       Dilip Upmanyu, Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG N├╝rnberg)