On Thu, Apr 23, 2015, at 02:44 AM, Michael Andres wrote:
> multiversion= defines how NEW packages are going to be INSTALLED. 'Normal'
> packages like  'rpm -U', automatically obsoleting old versions of the
> package. 'Multiversion' packages like 'rpm -i' are just added.
> Changing the setting does not affect already installed packages. Your
> kernel-default packages will stay until the next kernel-default package is
> (re-)installed without multiversion ('rpm -U'). E.g.
>       zypper in -f kernel-default-4.0.0-1.1.g49e42b3

You're correct -- next update/upgrade forced the changes.

> multiversion.kernels= is actually an option of the purge-kernels service
> from package mkinitrd. They simply hijacked the libzypp config file.
> I don't know in detail how purge-kernels works, so I'm not sure whether it
> actually evaluates zypps multiversion= settings. It may verry well be it
> simply looks at the installed kernels and makes it's decision based on the
> config values.
> That's probably why the multiple 'kernel-default' are kept. But I also can't
> explain why kernel-xen-3.16.7 is gone.
> For an explanation/bugfix please file a bugreport at bugzilla.opensuse.org
> for
> package mkinitrd.

Still not clear why the 3.16.x kernel-xen vanished.  Will explore that.

Since we have both

in zypp.conf, how can you keep different #'s of different kernel flavors?

E.g., for kernel-xen, keep

but for kernel-default, only keep

?  It's clear how to keep all the same versions for different flavors, but not
different #'s for different kernels.