On Tuesday 07 July 2015 09:49:03 Damian Ivanov wrote:
> When installed in parallel, multilib RPM packages may contain files that
> live in common paths. When this happens, RPM uses the following algorithm:
>
> - If the file in both packages is identical, installation is allowed
>   and the file is written
> - If the file in both packages is an ELF binary, the file used is the
>   file in the package for the primary architecture
> - If the file in both packages is not an ELF binary a RPM conflict is
>   raised
>

> So my suggestion here would be zypper also not to warn about a file
> conflict if you're installing a package for a secondary architecture that
> contains an elf file that conflicts with an elf file for your primary
> architecture.
> RPM heuristics will anyway not overwrite the elf file for you primary
> architecture,
> so zypper warning about that happening makes no sense (as it won't happen).

File conflicts are detected and reported by libzypp/libsov; zypper just
visualizes them.

On Fedora it's important that libsolv was built passing "-DFEDORA=1" to cmake.
This will set the solver option 'implicitobsoleteusescolors=1', which enables
support for installing multilib RPM package in parallel. (you can grep for
implicitobsoleteusescolors in /var/log/zypper.log to check it's value).

If the reported conflicts are nevertheless wrong, you should file an issue at
https://github.com/openSUSE/libsolv/issues.

(Somehow related to https://github.com/openSUSE/libzypp/issues/46; zypper is
not familiar with Fedoras way of installing multilib RPM package in
parallel.)

> You open to patches? :)

Of course. Preferred via github.
(https://github.com/openSUSE/{libsolv,libzypp,zypeper})

--

cu,
    Michael Andres

Key fingerprint = 2DFA 5D73 18B1 E7EF A862  27AC 3FB8 9E3A 27C6 B0E4