At 3:47 PM -0500 9/12/05, Jeff Walther wrote:
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 22:44:32 EDT
Subject: Re: [1st] PM 6100/66 AppleTalk Problems

In a message NODEraser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

<<BTW, I am trying to use AppleTalk over PhoneNet, not ethernet. I don't
think my older Macs are capable of doing AppleTalk over Ethernet. >>

My bad, I assumed you were using Ethernet. These old machines will do
Ethernet I have three 6100's on my network, you just need a AAUI transceiver which are available used for $5-10. Of course any other computers and devices on your
network would also have to be Ethernet capable.

Getting back to the problem, it has been a while since I used PhoneNet, just
be sure (you most likely have done so) that AppleTalk is active in Chooser.
And depending on how your network is setup you should check your TCP/IP Control Panel settings as well. Oh, and also check your PhoneNet connectors and wires.

Perhaps someone else can offer more advice. Good luck -- glen

I haven't followed this thread at all--but--termination can be an issue with PhoneNet. Surely someone has already mentioned this, but in case they haven't...

Each PhoneNet connector needs to have both jacks filled. If there is only one cable connected to a PhoneNet connector, then the other jack should have a terminator installed. The terminator is just a little telephone plug with a resistor between the yellow and black wire terminals. I don't recall the resistance at the moment.

Only if you are doing a daisy chain connection. In a bus topology the wiring is terminated and individual drops are not.

It's likely this installation is a daisy chain setup but I mentioned it because this is a common way mis-information gets passed around. Someone mentions partial information and then others who don't know better think it's the whole story.

An unterminated PhoneNet installation usually results in the Mac at the opposite end of the network from the unterminated end freezing up during network operations.

Note that in a short daisy chain network (<20') you can get away a single terminator or in a very short network (<10') no terminator.

Some of the Focus brand PhoneNet connectors had "automatic" termination, but I never found it to work well, and installed the actual terminator where needed anyway. Later the Focus boxes had a switch on the side to turn termination on or off. The Focus boxes were black.

Various knock offs (everyone but Farallon is a knock off) include the termination switch (some Farallon too, IIRC). Some have LEDs but I always tried to steer clear of these, those LEDs are using power that otherwise goes into a stronger signal).

Farallon used to include a good little booklet on setting up a PhoneNet network with their boxes. It was really quite good in detailing how to setup PhoneNet networks from simple two node nets to large campus wide systems. The maximum network length is 5000'

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA

 --> AOL users, remove "mailto:";
Send list messages to:   <mailto:1st-powermacs@mail.maclaunch.com>
To unsubscribe, email:   <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
For digest mode, email:  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subscription questions:  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
List archive:            <http://mail.maclaunch.com/lists/1st-powermacs/>

iPod Accessories for Less
at 1-800-iPOD.COM
Fast Delivery, Low Price, Good Deal