Well, if the "double powering" trick solves your problem, then I'd bet that the PRAM battery is to blame. As you have said, "double powering" resets the PRAM to a valid state and allows the machine to boot normally. That is has happened after replacing the hard drive may be only a coincidence. Try to replace the PRAM battery and see if it solves the problem.

Greetings,

Antonio Rodríguez (Grijan)

Bruce Godfrey escribió:
I recently replaced the hard drive in my trusty old 6100 with a newer 8 Gb SCSI which is an 80 pin model with a 50 pin adapter on it. Ever since the machine has been difficult to boot. I eventually discovered through trial and error that if I press the button to start it up, and then press it again within a couple of seconds after the bong to turn it off and back on again it will reliably boot up. But, this seems to cause the PRAM to reset every time, as the date always shows 1956 after doing this. Restarting while it is running works normally. I have a vague recollection of someone reporting similar bahaviour on the list a year or so ago, but I don't remember what the cause was, or whether there was a fix. Any ideas out there about what is causing this?

Bruce

 --> AOL users, remove "mailto:";
Send list messages to:   <mailto:1st-powermacs@mail.maclaunch.com>
To unsubscribe, email:   <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
For digest mode, email:  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subscription questions:  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
List archive:            <http://mail.maclaunch.com/lists/1st-powermacs/>

iPod Accessories for Less
at 1-800-iPOD.COM
Fast Delivery, Low Price, Good Deal