Hi there,

NSS databases are made from 3 files:

cert8.db
key3.db
secmod.db

If you are using the newer sqlite format, it's:

cert9.db
key4.db
pkcs11.txt

389 will "prefer" the newer format if present, and there is an automatic
upgrade process in NSS. I'm not sure when NSS will swap by default, and I think
if the upgrade is performed, then the "older" files will be ignored. This means
if NSS upgrades these files, then replacement of key3.db etc will no longer be
upgraded if key4 is present.

Regardless, provided you supply those 3 files to the directory, yes, it will
work on the next reboot.

However, be mindful that the if you use attribute encryption, this value is
stored in the key3.db, and replacement of this file WILL destroy your access to
your own database! IE if you plan to use this strategy, you MUST NOT use
attribute encryption at the same time.

A better process could be to have a systemd drop in file that on "start" takes
.PEM files and turns them into the nss db, OR loads them into the existing NSS
db. This would be useful upstream too, so maybe that's a better strategy, and
of course, tools for PEM management are much better from a sys admin view.
Would this be a cleaner approach do you think?

I hope this helps!

> On 17 Jun 2019, at 14:59, Angel Bosch <abo...@ticmallorca.net> wrote:
>
> hi,
>
> I'm still evaluating some options to securize dynamic nodes and I have some
> questions regarding certutil and nss databases:
>

> Can I create NSS databases on any directory/server and then move files to
> "/etc/dirsrv/slapd-instance_name" ?
>
> If cert8.db and key3.db files are found in that directory are they used
> automatically by slapd process on reboot?
>

> If both answers are affirmative I'll try to script it and hook it within my
> node creation flow.
> is there any other detail I should take care of with this approach?
>

> thanks,
>
> abosch
>

> --

—
Sincerely,

William Brown

Senior Software Engineer, 389 Directory Server
SUSE Labs