> On 11 Jul 2019, at 04:31, Matt Shields <m...@shields.tv> wrote:
>
> We're looking at migrating our Solarwinds Serv-U users into 389-ds.  We can
> export the user's password hashes which use the following format.
>
> - user password = mytestpass
> - pick two alpha salt (i.e. Bq)
> - new user password = prepend the salt to the user's password (i.e.
> Bqmytestpass)
> - MD5 new user password and convert to upper case =
> 1C3D9DB22AC6CC3A216E1FA566A642B1
> - prepend salt to the MD5 = Bq1C3D9DB22AC6CC3A216E1FA566A642B1
> https://support.solarwinds.com/SuccessCenter/s/article/Manually-generate-encrypted-passwords-for-Serv-U
>
> How can I import and use the existing hashes. I really do not want to ask
> every single user for a new password, this would take forever.  I came across
> this article
> (https://www.redpill-linpro.com/techblog/2016/08/16/ldap-password-hash.html)
> which seemed like I could convert the above hash to
> {MD5}$1$Bq$1C3D9DB22AC6CC3A216E1FA566A642B1 but that didn't seem to work.

I think that historically the way MD5 was represented was really "per product"
so our encoding may be different.

The source code of md5 in our server is here:

https://pagure.io/389-ds-base/blob/master/f/ldap/servers/plugins/pwdstorage/md5_pwd.c

https://pagure.io/389-ds-base/blob/master/f/ldap/servers/plugins/pwdstorage/crypt_pwd.c

So notice our md5 implementation is *unsalted*. So that means that to match
your two char salt, you'll need to use the servers crypt support instead, which
it looks like you have the format for.

First enable password migration: if you don't do this, the server will "rehash"
your hash and everything goes bad:

cn=config
nsslapd-allow-hashed-passwords: on

This means you can now directly as cn=Directory Manager write a pre-hashed
password to userPassword field.

Next, you'll need to make your passwords:

{CRYPT}$1$Bq$1C3D9DB22AC6CC3A216E1FA566A642B1

Then supply that to userPassword

Finally, test it! See if it works. If not, we'd need to see a sample password I
think to help update the code to support your migration.

You may want to pay attention to the following PR too:

https://pagure.io/389-ds-base/pull-request/50450#

This will hopefully be merged soon, and allows the server to "re-hash" your
password to a stronger/newer format on bind, not just password change. This
will be really helpful for you for a future security improvement over MD5 I
hope :)

Hope that helps,

> Any ideas?

—
Sincerely,

William Brown

Senior Software Engineer, 389 Directory Server
SUSE Labs